Due to the encouragement of my friend, Margaret Feinberg (http://margaretfeinberg.blogspot.com), I've started a blog. Here's my first entry:
My wife and I attended a lovely wedding last night with a group of our friends. Since I was married 13 months ago, every wedding I have gone to has been quite an experience for me. When the bride walks down the aisle guided by her father, I'm fully there (a side note: ever since I had my own wedding, I can't seem to make myself watch the Bride walk down the aisle. It's only because I remember what I felt like when I saw my wife, Lisa, dawn through the two center doors in the back of the chapel, as she walked--if not levitated--down the aisle with her father, and I find myself transfixed on the Groom, knowing that he might feel a hint of the feelings that I felt that day.) When I hear the officiant tenderly guiding them through the vows, I'm there. When the music is softly and sweetly playing in the background as the couple partakes of holy communion, I'm there. I'm there!
For those of you that don't feel called to marriage, who feel like God has graced you with the ability to be celibate, I applaud you. So does the Apostle Paul. You'll do much more for the Kingdom of God that most of us married people ever will.
Yet I always knew, from a very early age, that I didn't have that grace bequeathed on me. So, for those of you who are not married yet, but someday will be, I say go for it! I can't recommend it enough. As long as you find the right person to connect your life to, and to be connected to, you are going to have a great life.
And, just one more piece of advice: settle between yourselves from day one that the "D" word (divorce) will never be a part of your family vocabulary.
Thoughts? Additions to?
My wife and I attended a lovely wedding last night with a group of our friends. Since I was married 13 months ago, every wedding I have gone to has been quite an experience for me. When the bride walks down the aisle guided by her father, I'm fully there (a side note: ever since I had my own wedding, I can't seem to make myself watch the Bride walk down the aisle. It's only because I remember what I felt like when I saw my wife, Lisa, dawn through the two center doors in the back of the chapel, as she walked--if not levitated--down the aisle with her father, and I find myself transfixed on the Groom, knowing that he might feel a hint of the feelings that I felt that day.) When I hear the officiant tenderly guiding them through the vows, I'm there. When the music is softly and sweetly playing in the background as the couple partakes of holy communion, I'm there. I'm there!
For those of you that don't feel called to marriage, who feel like God has graced you with the ability to be celibate, I applaud you. So does the Apostle Paul. You'll do much more for the Kingdom of God that most of us married people ever will.
Yet I always knew, from a very early age, that I didn't have that grace bequeathed on me. So, for those of you who are not married yet, but someday will be, I say go for it! I can't recommend it enough. As long as you find the right person to connect your life to, and to be connected to, you are going to have a great life.
And, just one more piece of advice: settle between yourselves from day one that the "D" word (divorce) will never be a part of your family vocabulary.
Thoughts? Additions to?
2 Comments:
No one ever told me how incredible marriage is..that it's a total blast and the whahooo of a lifetime. I had heard all the stuff about it takes work and there will be tough times and so on and while that is true...a good marriage is better than Godiva.
Hi Daniel,
I read in a christian paper in the Netherlands (Reformatorisch Dagblad) about you and your church.
I'm Theo Krins and my mother is mrs. Van Ghesel Grothe....
Are you a member of our family? A brother of my grandfather (Theo van Ghesel Grothe) moved to US and his name was Rens.
I hope you send a reaction.
My e-mail adress: theokrins@solcon.nl
Post a Comment
<< Home